Chapter 8: Stop over at Harrisburg


 

 

The bus stank of heated plastic seat covers and the accumulation of passengers that had come up from Washington, DC and points farther south.

The seat was uncomfortable and stuck in that halfway position between sitting up and lying down.

I had a great view of the bald head of the man in the seat in front of me.

I lit a cigarette and sucked the menthol smoke deep into my lungs.

I was exhausted but could not sleep and sat with my head against the cool glass watching the side of the highway as we passed. I ached for a pillow like the ones Greyhound used to issue when my mother and I took the bus to Ohio when I was very small. A heat vent blew hot air onto my face regardless of which way I turned.

Outside, mountains rose and fell as the miles passed, ripples in the landscape like worn down teeth. We passed through long dark tunnels that plunged through mountains the road could not avoid.

Signs appeared for Harrisburg along with more local destinations such as Lancaster or Middletown.

The wheels hummed under us as I began the slow countdown of mileage markers, ten, nine, eight miles before we reached the state’s capitol.

The other passengers seemed relatively content. An old man two seats up from mine on the other side coughed deeply, then lit a cigarette, his grim face glowing under the match light in the glass.

Five miles to Harrisburg, another sign said, I leaned back with a sigh,

We pulled into Harrisburg about 3 p.m.

The hostess announced our arrival via microphone from the front of the bus, informing of some of the details as we passed them, such as Capitol Park on the left, and the world-famous state building with its huge dome hovering over the city like a UFO.

“It’s modeled after St. Peter’s in Rome,” she said.

But for the most part, Harrisburg was a dark city, but not large, and old, full of those 18th Century buildings that would later become subject to historic preservation yet would linger on the brink of ruin for years.  As the state capitol its domes and spires that gave it an aging grandeur, and perhaps mocking Philadelphia -- which had once served in that distinction.

When the bus pulled into the station, the passengers disembarked. The station served both buses and trains.

“We’ll be here for about 30 minutes,” the hostess said, cautioning us not to wander too far.

I grabbed for my briefcase – in which I had deposited the bundles of money.

“You don’t have to take your luggage,” the hostess said as I made my way to the front and down the steps.

“I’m going to do some work while I’m eating,” I said, then walked across to the long garage like building and settled on a bench from which I could watch the bus.

The bus station that served its travelers was just a couple of garage doors and a window display listing distances and prices, and the red Continental Trailways sign hanging from the awning in the front. It might have been horse stables once converted for a more modern use.

Inside the station, a radio played country and western music.

 Nearby, a string of were straight out of what I might have expected further west, with a wooden planked walkway in front, as if horses still left their stinking deposit in the street and the rain still made mud of every gutter. A coffee shop, a hair salon, and a gift store made up the small complex and apparently thrived off those of us who paused here on buses headed west, with numerous Knick knacks, and post cards depicting the state capital building, or scrawled with some other historical image of local importance.

 For the first time, I got a good look at my fellow passengers, beyond the superficial glimpses I got when they boarded in Philadelphia. I had briefly spoken with a couple whose last name was Warton during the ride out from Philadelphia. The rest remained strangers to me.

Nearby, apparently waiting to reboard the bus, a couple of lovers sat cooing like pigeons at each other. Mrs. Warton thought they were cute and informed me that they had just been married, and like the Warton's, were going all the way to California.

 "They want to see Disneyland," Mrs. Warton had said.

Most of the remaining passengers made their way towards the coffee shop to get out of the cold. The lovers followed, trailing behind as if reluctant to enter the crowded space when they seemed to have the rest of the universe all to themselves.

 Then, I found myself pleasantly alone in a strange place, noticing the remarkable quiet here, a few birds, an occasion horn.

 A moment later, the coffee shop door opened and out came the bus driver, clutching a paper coffee cup in his hands, an unlighted cigarette dangling from his lips.

 I lit the cigarette for him, and he sucked in the smoke with the cool air.

“Cold night,” he said. “Winter’s on its way finally. For a while it stayed so warm, I thought we might miss it.”

I laughed. “I was kind of hoping…”

“Not me. I like winter. You see I’m a skier. Kind of hard to ski without snow. Where are you headed?”

“Denver,” I said cautiously.

“Lots of snow there. And I bet you don’t ski.”

“I’m always afraid I’ll break a leg,” I said.

“Everybody says that” the driver laughed, taking another sip of his coffee. “But you’ll never know the thrill you get rushing down a mountain side at 50 or 60 miles an hour, sometimes faster, the wind and snow biting your face, the skis swishing under your feet.”

“I parachuted once,” I said, neglecting to tell him it was in the army, and I had been scared shitless.

“That’s something I never tried,” he said. “It must have felt great. With things like that you got to keep doing them, keep the thrill up.”

“But you drive buses for a living,” I said.

“Hardly a thrill,” he said. “I do the same route over and over, from Philly to Pittsburgh and back. I know every hill by heart. What about you? Why Denver?”

“I got a girl there,” I said.

“Lucky for you. Just don’t get married,” he said and drained his cup of coffee.  He gave me a wink at my puzzled look, then made his way back to the bus.”

A greyness washed over me. I suddenly felt a chill.   I saw the others making their way out of the coffee shop again, easing across the gravel lot in ones and twos.  The lovers came. The Wartons. The old man with a lip. I followed slowly up each step and then down the aisle to our seats. Mrs. Warton smiled at me as she slipped into her seat next to her grumpy husband, Bill.

 I stared out the window and felt the grey world growing greyer even as I looked at it.

Then the driver restarted the bus, and the bus moved again, sending its now all-too-familiar rumble through me. We crossed the multiple bridges over the mightily Susquehanna River. Smokestacks from the town's industry appeared darkly against the brown backdrop of buildings as the bus rolled up the ramp onto Route 30, with signs for Gettysburg which we would never reach, turning off long before we reached that historic place.

 The next stop was Pittsburgh.

 

 Innocents on the Lamb menu

 

Main Menu


email to Al Sullivan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1: Thief in the night

Innocents on the Lamb

Chapter50 --With these rings