Chapter 5: Panic in the Port Authority

 

The cab let me off at the 9th Avenue entrance to the Port Authority building, not quite as familiar to me as the main entrance on the other side.

I stumbled out onto the sidewalk, overwhelmed as I always got when coming here, amazed at the tall buildings the same way I had been when I came to this place with my mother when I was five.

The awe of it never left me, an icon of my life I still clung to, those journeys here with my best friend Hank, the wandering through streets to places no tourist would go.

It pained me to leave all this behind, even the would-be muggers who had mistaken us for easy prey, finding out only too late that we had been seasoned on the dark streets of Paterson, not at all the usual naïve suburban teenyboppers who stepped off the buses from New Jersey.

The shapeless gray people clung to the street corners even now as dawn exposed them, turning them not to dust they way dawn might vampires, but into the sad collection of drunks, junkies, pimps and prostitutes that lost their furiousness or appeal in daylight, the homeless who had been turned out of the bus terminal by the police earlier in the night, struggling over subway air grates to stay warm, or moving from bench to bench when they could find them. And there were hippies, too, dazed and confused, their dilated eyes seeing things in the world I could not.

I stood before the glass doors to the terminal dazed and confused in a whole different way, thinking that my next steps would take me out of one world and into another, a gate to some alternative universe I still didn’t completely comprehend, yet once through the glass doors and up the escalator, I knew my way well enough.

I knew the look and smell of the place, the dirty floors and diesel fumes, the washed and unwashed masses that passed through these vast caverns daily, the hobos that took up residence in its dark corners, the businessmen who occupied the banks of phonebooths with their endless deals.

Ticket windows for local buses lined one whole side of the largest of these caverns, most closed at the moment until the official beginning of rush hour when passengers would flood into here, coming and going, purchasing tickets to small towns and large, going north, south, east and west, only none of them went as far as I needed to go. Many a night, Hank and I had crawled through here, purchasing tickets to the last bus to Jersey before morning, desperate to make it home before my uncles discovered my violation of curfew and before Hank’s father found out he was not home snug in his bed.

This time, I needed to seek out the wider ticket counters that lined the narrower passage nearer to the front door, those with blue or gray or red banners advertising long distance buses such as Greyhound of Continental Trailways, counters that boasted of more exotic destinations such as Boston, Atlantic City, Philadelphia even Tampa or Miami.

In the back of my head, I still heard the clock ticketing and knew by this time one or more of my uncles had risen, and had perhaps discovered evidence of my crime, perhaps a bit too confused to put all the pieces together to justify calling the police.

But soon they would, and I needed to be on my way before they did, before the made the logical conclusion that I had made my way here.

I was, after all, a creature of habit. I had fled to New York more than once – if not forever, then as a temporary reprieve, if not with pockets full of money, then with the idea of digging a whole somewhere to hide out in until I could make sense of my life.

A shudder went through me as I approached the Greyhound counter. The man behind it half nodded with boredom and need of sleep, his uniform jacket hanging on the back of his tall chair. He had even loosened his tie – as if approaching the end of his shift.

“Can I help you?” he asked me but without enthusiasm.

Who could blame him? This was not an hour at which anyone could feel enthused.

I struggled to speak, my head still filled with the images of home, of my uncle’s early morning faces, of my mother’s face in particular when they informed her of what I had done.

I put them out of my head.

“I need a ticket to Denver,” I told the man.

The man’s thin eyebrows rose. “Denver?”

“Yes,” I said. “When does the next bus leave?”

“The next bus is scheduled to leave about 7:30 p.m.”

“Tonight?” I said, shocked. I could hardly breathe. I had mistakenly assumed buses to the west had the same regular schedule as the bus to New Jersey – and I cursed myself for not checking before I committed my crime.

The bored clerk seemed puzzled at my reaction.

I couldn’t wait even an hour let alone the whole day. I staggered away, moving onto the next ticket booth, under the sign for Continental Trailways. The woman there gave me the same sad news, and then when she saw how devastated I was, told me Trailways had a bus heading west out of Philadelphia at 11 a.m.

“We can take a bus from here to Philadelphia and transfer to that bus,” she said. “Would you like that?”

Her eyes seemed to sense the panic I was in. She was pudgy, yet very pretty, giving me a gentle smile as if she felt sorry for me.

“Yes, please,” I said, calming slightly, although my voice still sounded shrill with my panic. “When does the bus for Philadelphia leave?”

The woman glanced up at the clock that hung over the banks of escalators, then looked down at the schedule in front of her.

“If you run, you can catch the one that’s leaving right now,” she said. “They usually wait a minute or so longer for late arrivals.”

I shoved money across the counter at her, enough to cover the bus to Philly and the transfer to the bus west from there. Then, clutching these tickets I ran to the escalators, and then up them three a time because they just didn’t move fast enough. There were police officers sanding in the waiting area between the banks of escalators where several dozen seats allowed passengers to wait. One officer eyed me and my urgency, then apparently figured I was simply trying to get to some office somewhere and lost interest.

I ran across hall at the top, passed the stores selling booze, coffee, newspapers and souvenirs.

When I reached the stairs to the bus platform, I leaped up these three a time, stumbling halfway up, nearly falling, then plunging ahead aga. The smell of bus fumes filled my lungs. The echo of grinding gears told me the bus was already pulling out, and it was, but stopped when the driver saw me at the top of the stairs, opening the doors for me, smiling as I breathless climbed aboard and handed him my ticket.

“You’re lucky,” he said. “The next bus doesn’t leave for another three hours.”

Lucky, indeed, I thought, as I made my way down the narrow aisle, passed other sleepy passengers, most of whom looked like businessmen. In another three hours, I would have been caught and dragged back to New Jersey.

For all the ill-planning, somehow, I had pulled this off.

 

Innocence on the Lamb menu


Main Menu


email to Al Sullivan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1: Thief in the night

Innocents on the Lamb

Chapter50 --With these rings