Chapter 3: Waiting in the dark

 


 

The gas station’s pay phone hung from its hook, wires spilling out from the mouthpiece. So, I had to cross Crooks Avenue to the Paterson side to find a working phone, and luckily found a few coins left over in my suit pocket from some previous use, dropping several into the slot after getting information to provide me with the number of the cab company.

Clifton likely had its own cabs, but I couldn’t recall any of the names – only Veterans Cab company located off Market Street in downtown Paterson, whose doorway I had passed frequently, but never thought to use, a dark office filled with broad shouldered men wearing out of date hats and smoking stubs of cigars that stained the windows – an office that never closed.

Hank, my best friend, often relied on the company to get him home after arriving too late from our adventures in New York City to get the last bus to Haledon. He could have walked home the way I did during those late hours, only his route took him through some of the toughest neighborhoods of Paterson, a route on which he’d been mugged more than once during day light hours, a much deadlier journey by night.

A gruff voice sounded from the other end of the receiver. I could almost smell the cigar smoke through the phone, and envisioned this tough middle-aged Italian seated behind his paper covered desk.

“What do you want?” the man asked.

“I need a cab,” I said.

“I sort of figured that, bub, since you’re calling me. I’m not calling you. Where are you and where do you want us to dump you off?”

I hesitated. The word “New York” got stuck in my throat.

I thought it might be too far for them to want to go. I also thought of my uncles and the police and how easy it might be for them to later track me.

Buses were impersonal. Almost anyone could climb aboard one day or night without significance. A cab right was something else. Cabs kept records of where they picked people up and where they dropped them off. And as sleepy as the driver might be, he could not help looking back as his passenger, especially this time of night, and giving a description later.

“Well, bub?” the dispatcher asked again. “Have you decided where you want to go?”

“I want to go to New York City,” I said, forcing the words out, hearing them get wrapped up in the static of the phone.

“This time of night?”

“Yes,” I said.

“Okay,” the dispatcher said with me imagining the shrug of his shoulders. “It’s your money. Where are you? I’ll send a cab right over.”

I gave him my location, then eased out of the phone booth.

Although dawn was coming, the streets remained dark except near the bus stop. While someone stirred in the gas station, the doors remained unopen and the attendant – dealing with some pre-opening issues inside – had not yet turned on the lights above the gas pumps.

Across from me the even darker bank loomed like a brick walled fortress in front of which I had once stood with my mother to watch John F. Kennedy’s campaign motorcade pass back before we had moved to the projects, back before my mother went completely mad.

I stood outside the phonebooth where a string of small shops lined that portion of Main Street, thinking I should stand under a streetlight so that cab would not miss me, yet scared to stand out too much in case a patrol car came by first.

I decided to cross the street to the bank side and stand near the bus stop, assuming that I might look less suspicious waiting for a bus than standing in the deeper shadows of the still unopened stores.

I wore no watch. Time dragged on. I envisioned my uncles stirring awake, rolling over, squinting at the clocks they kept on their dresser. I imagined Harold reaching for his pants on the back of the chair in the attic and puzzling as to why they were no longer there.

If I lucked out, he would not seek to dress immediately, but stumble down to the second-floor bathroom first – giving me extra few moments wait for the cab to come.

Where was that fucking cab anyway? I could see the glow of the bank clock through the windows but could not read the hands. I guessed 15 minutes had passed from when I hung up, more than enough time for the cab to make its way from Clark Street and Market to this end of Paterson.

A few cars passed, some hurried early morning workers, a milk truck with bottles rattling, one or two weaving cars driven by drunks looking eye opening bars after having been cast out at last call from local taverns at three.  Each brought hope and then despair as they passed, and I felt more exposed and frustrated, wondering if one of them would eventually pull over and have one of my uncles behind the wheel.

The traffic light went through cycle after cycle, sometimes forcing one of the vehicles to stop, drivers squinting out through frosted windshields, no doubt puzzled at me, a lone, dark under-dressed character struggling to avoid notoriety. Finally, I saw a single set of headlights coming straight down Main Street from the heart of Paterson, a car with a bubble of some sort on the top of it, which could have been the light of a police officer car but turned out to be a lighted bubble with the word “taxi” on it. The car caught me momentarily in its headlights, and then pulled up to the curb

The driver leaned over, rolled down the passenger side window.

“You can for a cab?”

I nodded and climbed in.

The man closed the window, and then looked back at me.

“You said you wanted to go to New York?” he asked. “Where exactly?”

“The Port Authority,” I said.

He nodded, engaged the gears and drove through the light into Clifton. I sighed and stared out the window, again saying farewell to the landscape of my childhood which I never expected to see again.

 

                                  Innocents on the Lamb menu


Main Menu


email to Al Sullivan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1: Thief in the night

Innocents on the Lamb

Chapter50 --With these rings