Chapter 13: That girl from The South

 


 The young woman climbed aboard the bus a moment after the drivers changed, small with dark hair that wrapped around her face like a seashell. She wore a white dress buttoned up the front almost to her throat, though tight enough to show off her firm breasts. She drew everybody’s attention as she made her way down the aisle in search of a seat, when she decided to take the vacant seat next to me.

Mrs. Warton glanced over, her gaze curious, bearing its usual nosy humor.

The young woman smiled and held out her small hand.

"My name is Laura, what's yours?"

Her southern drawl made her that much more attractive, not like the phony accents from bad movies about the Civil War, but deeper, carrying whole history of the south in word.

I told her my name, and then told her I had come from New York.

"New York?" she said, exaggerating the words so that they sounded like some other town from the one I meant. "Why that's where I just came from. Not directly, mind you. I had to stop at my cousin's house in Mary-land, and then my grand-daddy's house in Delaware. I couldn't just pass them both by since I had come north and all. It wouldn't have been polite."

 "Where exactly are you from?" I asked.

 "Well, can't you tell from my accent?" she teased.

"I'm not much of a person for recognizing accents," I said. "The closest I can come is to say you're from the south."

‘I have an accent, really?”

“I would say so.”

“You and everybody else I’ve been in contact with lately, though to tell you the truth, it's all you people who have the accent. I talk just like everybody talks where I come from."

“It must be delightful to live wherever you live if everybody talks like you do,” I said, awash in visions of slow-moving rivers, late spring evenings, and fresh magnolia blossoms.

"I don't suppose you've ever heard of a small town called Eubank?" she asked, with just a hint of hope on the last rising syllable.

 "I'm afraid not," I said.

 "Now there's the problem," she said with a long, clearly manufactured sigh. "Nobody has. It's so small a town that nobody even bothered to put it on a map until very recently, and that's only because the city fathers wrote to the map company to insist."

 "You sound like you don't like the place," I said.

 "Like it? There's nothing there to like or dislike, so plain and boring. I got family there all right, my uncle, George, and his brother-in-law, Fester. I got some female relations, too, but they's all about as boring as the boys are. I spend most of my time dreaming about what it would be like if I got out."

 "Didn't you just come back from New York?" I asked. "You could have stayed there."

 Again, came the bell sound of her laugh, the tinkling filling the close air of the bus. Others were entering now, and finally, the new driver, followed by the new hostess.

Mrs. Warton and her husband looked pleased as they watched us from across the aisle, but neither thought to interrupt.

 "My Uncle George wouldn't hear of that," she said. "He'd drive the whole way north to come and get me, whether or not his lumbago was acting up, and he'd drag me back by the ear, telling me no niece of his was going to go off to live a life of sin in such a city as that."

 "But you're a grown woman," I said. "Did you want to stay in New York? Did you like it?"

 "No," she said. "I can't say as I liked New York much. To tell you the truth, it scared me. Not the part that Uncle George thinks I should have been scared about. We've got muggers and whores even in a town as small as ours is, or just down the road some anyway at the county seat. No. It was all that concrete and steel, just hanging up, taking up all the room where the sky should have been. I'm not sure I'd want to live any place where when I woke up in the morning, I couldn't find the sky."

 I nodded. The bus began to move.

 "I'm surprised your uncle let you go to New York at all, if he was that dead set against, you're living there," I said.

 Laura giggled.

 "Well, I can't say he actually knows where I went off to," she said. "You see I fibbed a little when I told him I was coming North. Instead of saying exactly where I was going, I said I'd be visiting My cousin Lily, who lives up the road from here in Canton. And I did. What I didn't say is that Lily had called me to invite me on a trip to New York and that the moment these feet touched her porch, they was walking back to the bus station for the bus to New York. Her Pa didn't mind nearly so much as my Uncle George did, because he said he had raised his child right and knew she wouldn't get off to any mischief if let loose on her own. But I could see from the look in his eye that he was mightily relieved when I'd come along to accompany her."

 "Did he know how your uncle felt?"

 "I don't know for certain, but it's my guess he did, but was willing to wink an eye over it as long as I kept his daughter from making any foolish mistakes. You might call it a kind of agreement. If I kept Lily safe, he would keep his mouth shut when it came to my Uncle George. And he did. He told my uncle I was out at a local fair when Uncle George called to find out about me. That wasn't too much of a fib either. New York is a kind of fair, only it just isn't local. Not by Canton standards anyway."

 For a moment, Laura fell silent, but it was only to catch her breath. When she spoke again, it was on the sly, as if she was allowing me in on a great secret.

 "To tell you the truth, I was scared a little bit about the hippies, kind of apprehensive about what they would do when we came down to Green-witch Village. From all I'd heard on the radio down where I'm from, I thought I would find them rolling in the street making love."

 "That didn't happen?"

 "No way," she said, giving me a kind of wave with her hand. "If there was any of that hanky-panky going on, it was behind closed doors, just like it is back in my neck of the woods."

 "You sound disappointed," I said.

 Laura blushed, seemed to think for a moment, and then nodded. "I guess I am," she said. "I mean it’s like hearing about a terrible storm that's coming up off the gulf, full of wind and rain and lightning. You grit yourself for it. You expect to have the house shake and shake, and then, when it comes, a few limbs move and a few leaves fall, and nothing else. Well, I guess that's how I felt about Green-witch Village. I expected to see all kinds of vice, and what I got was a bunch of odd people saying odd things at me. I'd say I was disappointed. Half the reason I wanted to go in the first place was to see if my Uncle George was right."

 "The world is full of illusions," I mumbled, and stared out the window.

 "What was that?"

 "Nothing important," I said. "So where are you getting off?"

 "Lexington," she said.

 Now I was disappointed. Lexington was too close, and I suddenly dreaded the miles I would have to travel after she was gone, miles in which I had no one to talk to but Mrs. Warton and her husband, Bill, miles to a place where I knew nobody and would likely talk with nobody once, I got there.

 "What about you?" she asked. "Where are you going?"

 "I'm going to Los Angeles," I said, glancing over my shoulder to where the man with the grey eyes had sat, and to my dismay, he sat there still, not staring at me now, but sitting where he should not have been, the mystery of his finding us again after his supposedly getting off in Cincinnati unexplained.

 "Why Los Angeles?" Laura asked.

 "Why not? I've always wanted to go there."

 For a moment, she just looked at me, studying my face, and then, finally, she nodded.

 "Sometimes I have real envy for folks like you," she said, "People who can pick up and go and not worry about getting dragged back or held down to a place. I've wanted to leave home all my life, and never really had the courage to do it, always thinking about my family and how they would feel, always knowing that the minute I was gone, they'd be the worse for it, as if they needed me to take care of them as much as I needed them. Sometimes I feel like I've got a rope around my waste to keep me from wandering away like some wild hound. The more I tug on it, the more I hurt inside." She paused, pursed her lips and then asked: "Does that make any sense to you?"

 It made more sense than I could ever explain, and I found myself staring out the window again, unable to meet her gaze, fearing she might read from it how much my own rope hurt and how much pain I had inflicted on my own family with my leaving.

We did not make it far out of Cincinnati when the bus stopped again, one of those unscheduled rest stops that Mrs. Warton told me happen from time to time, some sound from the engine the driver didn't like, some mysterious illness (probably booze) that forced management to replace the driver before the bus traveled too far and got too many people injured.

 We had pulled to a stop in some small town, I couldn't even guess the state, where the only light on main street was a flashing signal, and the soft white glow of the bus station itself, half a coffee shop hurried open to take care of any passenger who wanted helping.

 I got off the bus here, only because I needed to stretch my legs, and fill my lungs with air not polluted by my own cigarette smoke and the body order of the other passengers.

 The air clean and sharp and cold, but whatever snow it had contained, it had left in piles on the ground, a smooth white surface broken only by the wheels of the bus pulling in and the footsteps of the passengers making their way from bus to the coffee shop door.

 I did not go in, but stood sucking in the air, realizing for the first time that air could taste differently in one place than it did in another, and that this air, tasted sharply different from the air I was used to breathing back east, sweeter, smelling of some strange winter growth I could not identify by sniffing.

 "Isn't it a bit cold to be standing out here?" Mrs. Warton asked as she and her husband stiffly descended the steps from the bus, both tentatively looking at the path in the snow as if wondering if they could make the crossing without getting their toes wet.

 "It's refreshing," I said. "I need it to wake up."

 "Wake up?" Bill grumbled. "It's the middle of the Goddamn night. We should all be sleeping soundly, rather than sitting in the middle of nowhere waiting for someone to do something about what we know nothing about. I wonder if we've broken down and if we have to wait for someone to repair the bus before we actually get going again."

 Then, I saw the man with the hard, grey stare, standing near the door to the coffee shop talking with the bus driver, that man I had thought myself rid of back in Cincinnati, and he was staring straight at me. I felt my stomach heave, and though I had eaten nothing in hours, I felt the nearly irresistible urge to vomit.

 My head filled with the ramifications, the unfolding of a plot that his presence here seemed to make      real. The bus was not disabled. The driver was not drunk. This man was a cop, or some private detective, assigned to Pittsburgh to look out for me, and to ride with me until he was certain of where I was going so that he could call back to my family or to the police in New Jersey to alert them, driving after the bus after making his calls in Cincinnati to pull it over and wait for the police to come and collect me.

 I suddenly was sick of the cold and made my way into the crowded coffee shop, where I settled onto a stool and ordered myself some coffee. A moment later, the man came in after me, glanced around the room until his grey gaze caught me, and then he came over, sat down a stool or two away from me and he ordered coffee, too. I took mine to go, the liquid sloshing in the container as my hand shook, as I made my way to the door again and sought once more the comfort of the cold.

 When the door opened behind me, I thought it was him, only to find the lovers parading out, arm and arm, their attention so focused on themselves they bumped into me before they saw me, both apologizing profusely as they worked their way around me and made for the bus.

 When the door opened again, it was the man, limping out into the open, wearing a brown suit and a brown tie, both looked more wrinkled than I expected a cop's clothing to look, both looked somewhat frayed at the edges. The door closed behind him, leaving us both lost in a sudden quiet.

 A car passed on the road, its headlight illuminating the grey-eyed man's face for a moment. A wind blew at his hair, stirring up a tuft of hair from his forehead.

 I almost called out to him, demanding to know who he was and what he wanted, yet kept the silence. It was as if we stood each other down like gunfighters, only it would be the first of us to break our silence that lost.

 So intense was that struggle that I became only vaguely aware of someone standing at my side and jerked with surprise as if expecting to find another, more conventional kind of police officer standing there, one waving handcuffs at me.

Laura looked puzzled at my reaction then smiled at me as we both made our way back to the bus and up the steps.

"You know you don't have to go to Los Angeles right this minute," Laura said as the bus rolled into Lexington, and the city's lights illuminated the faces of the passengers looking out, giving each that look people get when watching television or a movie, the flicker of the projected story told in hints on each face. Many of those who slept previously woke up as if the light had reached into their dreams and drawn them out.

 "What do you mean?" I asked, half asleep myself after miles of dark road.

 "I mean my family would be more than pleased to put you up at our place," she said. "While you're a northerner and all, you'd fit in right well with my uncles and cousins, and maybe after they'd met you, they'd have a different opinion of New York. After all, if New York could come up with a man as fine and upstanding as you are, there's got to be hope for the place yet."

 Each word of the complement stabbed at me with guilt.

 "What about your uncle, George?" I asked. "I'm sure he'd mind, just on principle."

 "He'd get used to you," Laura said.

I was more than a little tempted to take her up on the offer.  Until that moment, I journey from darkness into darkness, unknown pursuit behind me, an uncertain future ahead, and her she offered me respectability, even invisibility since my family would never think to look for me in such a world as hers.

Again, I felt the intense loneliness of a strange city waiting for me in Los Angeles, and the potential for rejection from Louise when after all the miles and all the doubt I managed to get to Boulder to see her.

Only I was not respectable, and I could no more look her Uncle George in the eye than I could my own Uncle Harry.

 "I'm afraid I can't do that," I told Laura finally. "I've got to get to Colorado eventually, and it's bad enough that I'm stopping off in Los Angeles first. Eubank is just a little out of the way."

I touched her hand gently and looked into her soft eyes.

"Besides, if I came with you now, I might never leave."

 "Is that such a bad thing, really?" she asked, her voice full of hurt.

 "No," I said. "It would be a great thing. But I have things I have to do before I can ever think of that, things that need to get settled."

 "Another girl?" she asked.

 I nodded solemnly.

 "I should have thought as much," she said and turned her head away, so as not to allow me to see her expression.

When she spoke again, she continued to stare away.

“I want you to know you'll be welcome in my home any time, and that if when you get to that girl of yours in Colorado and things don't work out, you just come and look me up here in Kentucky. You hear me?"

I told her I would, just as the bus’s brakes hissed and the driver steered it off the highway, rolling into the city like a conquering army, the bright lights making it seem as if the city was already in flames, with something odd and sad about the place that I hadn't expected to find. Each home, each store, each bank and official building bore a strangely blank expression, that small town closed-in sensibility that showed no welcome for strangers.

Even the small station to bus pulled into seemed grim, and Laura rose reluctantly, looked down at me for a moment, then -- without warning -- bent and kissed me squarely on the lips, holding that kiss for a long time before she withdrew and ran, her bag slapping at the sides of the seats as she fled. I saw her head for a moment along the other side of the bus as the driver fished out her remaining luggage from the belly of the bus. A thud marked the opening of the storage compartment's door, another thud marked its closing.

 The driver climbed back up into the bus and behind the wheel, shaking off the cold like a dog did water, shifting the bus into gear for what was for me a gratefully quick escape.

 

.Innocents on the Lamb menu



Main Menu


email to Al Sullivan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1: Thief in the night

Innocents on the Lamb

Chapter50 --With these rings