Chapter 12: The hostess to Cincinnati

 

 




 

The snow tapped the windows as the bus plunged ahead, stirring up in me rumors of the north, and the reports of a blizzard sweeping across the northern states.

A vision of blotted out highways and buried cities came to me like a dream, making me wonder about Louise and how she fared in far off Boulder where such storms made up a way of life.

Winter in mountains came early and left late, fingers lingering deep into spring as if to threaten even the coming of summer.

The snow pellets clung to then fell away from the windows, melting under the consistent blast of the bus’s heaters, turning into tears wiped away by the motion of the bus.

Not yet two days away from my family, I wondered had they already picked up my trail or at least the rumor of where I might go. Had they reached out to Louise’s parents, gotten a number to call her, and had they already altered her to my possible arrival?

Would she cooperate with them if they had, agreeing to call them if my shadow fell across her doorstep?

I realized then how little I knew about her, what she might think or do or say if I arrived after being warned.

Would my not showing up right away bother her after all my family’s talk about my rushing to her?

Would she even care?

In the dark bus, staring out at the snowy landscape, I felt unprotected, even wounded when it came to her -- a wound more penetrating in some ways than those my comrades in the army had suffered overseas, leaving a hollowness inside me I did not know how to fill.

Back on the base with my buddy Vinnie – and off base when we went AWOL to New York – I had filled the abyss with booze, a temporary band aid I knew I could not resort to now, the wound far too deep for any remedy except to meet and be with Louise, if she would have me.

The bus bumping over some rough patch in the dark jolted me out of these thoughts. Baggage shifted in the racks above the seats. Other passengers woke, grumbled, glanced around, then fell back into their uneasy slumber.

The hostess, making her way from the front of the bus, checked on the passengers, patting the shoulders of those most startled, assuring them, then saw me, smiling as she reached my seat.

"Aren't you going to sleep?" she asked, leaning over me, the subtle scent of her perfume lingering between us, vague from the house since she had applied, yet stunningly fresh – something out of springtime, not approaching winter.

I shook my head.

“I don’t sleep well on buses,” I said. “or in strange places. It took me almost a month to sleep right when I first got to boot camp.”

Still smiling, but glancing up the long aisle towards the driver, the hostess slipped quickly into the seat beside me, sighing.

“I could sleep on my feet, I’m so tired,” she whispered, his lips moist, and red, though like her perfume the lipstick she had applied at some time earlier had faded into something pink; so, she seemed not to be wearing lipstick at all. Her smile so appealing, I had to smile back – even though a moment earlier I had felt despair.

“You do seem to be on your feet a lot,” I said.

“Especially on nights like this,” she said, again glancing in the direction of the driver, and then her gaze wandering to check at a distance some of the people she had comforted a moment before. “People don’t like when we ride through weather like this – even though most of them sleep through it. And seeing them sleep, only makes me want to curl up in a seat and go to sleep myself.”

She turned towards me and smiled once more.

“I could curl up right here,” she said. “You look like you would make a good pillow. You wouldn’t mind letting me lean against you for a bit, would you?”

“Of course not,” I said, glad for the darkness that hid my blushing.

She leaned her head against my shoulder, taking one of my hands in her, fingers weaving between mine, squeezing lightly. “Thanks.”

My head turned towards her, my gaze looking down into very dark and dilated eyes, her lips seemed to tremble as much as I did.

“So where are you from, soldier boy?” she asked, her voice husky, deep, losing all of the artificial charm she used when making announcements over the PA system.

“New York,” I said, close enough to the truth for me to sound convincing. “What about you?”

“Pittsburgh,” she said, somewhat dourly. “I ride from Pittsburgh to Cincinnati then back again. It’s more than a little boring, unless I meet someone interesting – like you.”

“You find me interesting?”

“Mysterious fits better,” she said. “I see a lot of people during these rides. I get to know when someone has something to hide.”

I stiffened; she sensed it.

“Don’t worry,” she said, patting my shoulder with her other hand. “I won’t give you away. I like your company, even if you feel the need to keep your secret. And now that I know you’re from New York, I’m even more pleased to be with you.”

“You like New York?”

“I’ve never been there,” she said. “And I want to go there so bad it hurts.”

“Why don’t you go? I’m sure you can get an employee discount to go there if you want.”

Again, she looked up at me, her eyes saying something her lips would not breathe, her lips parting in a much different smile, tender, even needy.

“It’s not the cost of the bus ticket, it’s the cost of being there, and being there alone,” she said. “I can go there, but I would want to be with somebody when I go.”

“What about your boyfriend?”

“I don’t have one.”

“That’s silly. You’re an amazingly beautiful woman, who could get any man you want.”

“A lot of men want me,” she said. “But there are very few I want – or want to be with after the first time I’ve been with them.”

I didn’t laugh although I wanted to. She seemed so utterly serious and pressed against me with such warmth, I didn’t want to spoil it

“So, you’re not going to go until you have someone you can go with?” I asked.

“Exactly,” she said again squeezing my fingers with hers. “Maybe you can take me there and show me around.”

“Me? But I’m headed west.”

“That doesn’t mean you won’t come back this way,” she said. “People generally do.”

“I’m not sure I will,” I said.

She pouted. “That would be a shame,” she said. “I’m sure you could show me more than most men could.”

I was more wide awake because of her than I  had a right to be, so long without a bed, though what touched me most was the way she looked at me, as if I had provided her with a glimpse of something she could not go and get for herself, as if I had dragged New York City onto the bus on my back for her to examine in detail, her eyes nearly as bright as the headlights that passed outside.

I might have warned her to stay home, having seen so many girls like her in Greenwich Village, searching for something that did not exist. Yet with her, I got the feeling she wasn’t looking for a place so much as a person, someone to share something, if not New York then any other landscape, even the landscape of each other’s lives.

I came close to saying something to her if not at that moment a light hadn’t flickered on towards the back of the bus, one of the overheads over one of the seats on the other side.

I glanced in that direction.

Hard, gray eyes glared back at me, and though I did not know the man, he seemed to know me, nodding as I looked back at him. Then the light went out again, leaving only the afterglow of those eyes.

“He’s been watching you since we left Pittsburgh,” the hostess said, guessing at what I had seen. “I was going to say something, but I'm always putting my two cents in where it doesn't belong. I figured you two knew each other."

 "We don't," I said. "You wouldn't happen to know how far he's going, would you?"

 "I saw his ticket. It said Cincinnati," the hostess said. "Does that mean anything to you?"

 "I knew a kid in the army who was from Cincinnati," I said. "But he was missing a leg the last time I saw him."

I glanced again at the spot where the face had been; the light did not go back on, and after the bus had rolled on for a time, I gave it up, talked with the hostess a little more before she informed me, she needed to get back to work.

I knew I would never see her again, one of those passing moments in time, literally stranger passing in the night. The temptation to get off the bus again and buy yet another ticket back to Pittsburgh danced in the back of my head, possibly maybe even a ticket for two to New York.

But the thought vanished almost soon as it came.

I stared back out into the dark exterior, hearing the gush of tires over the slushy snow, seeing the tears of melting flakes run down the window, down across my reflected face.

I didn’t want to think about the hostess or the man with the gray eyes. I didn’t want to think at all.

We passed into Canton almost like a surprise, a series of exits, then a brief stop, then on the road again.

We closed in on Cincinnati, though my staring out the window found no clue to its arrival, no advanced notice of lights that I would have expected. Instead, I saw only trees thick with their burden of snow, and other lumps hidden under the growing white mass, as we passed through quiet suburbs towards the heart of the city.

 Occasionally, I braced myself and turned my head for a glance back at the darkness where I knew the grey-eyed man sat. I could see his vague outline in the darkness, slumped against the windowpane in apparent sleep.

I did not trust that slumber and wished for Cincinnati to hurry so that the man would get off, leaving me free of his gaze.

 Later, as we grew nearer to the city and the lights began to reveal themselves despite the snow, the hostess made her way up towards the front of the bus.

She touched my shoulder affectionately with her long fingers.

“You really should get some sleep,” she said. “Maybe if you’d taken a train with a sleeping car, you might be better rested later.”

“Then I wouldn’t have met you,” I said.

This seemed to startle her. She looked down, her soft smile quivering again, she nodded.

The driver called to her, and she gave me another, somewhat sadder smile.

 "I probably won't have time to talk again," she said, reaching out to touch my hand. "It has been nice meeting you."

 And just like that, she was gone.

 I sank back into the seat and closed my eyes. But a wheezing cough woke me, and I found myself turning towards the place from which the sound had come and found myself staring at the grey-eyed man, who was again staring at me.

 He looked away as quickly as he could, but he had shaken me enough for me to sink even deeper into the seat, where I closed my eyes and feigned sleep, only for sleep to take hold of me, despite my fear.

 When I woke, the bus had stopped, although the snow had not. People stumbled around me with their bags, making their way towards the front of the bus and out. Some of the other passengers also got off, to relieve themselves in a toilet that wasn't jolting this way and that, or to find food that did not have to be unwrapped before eating.

 I did not move. I did not see the hostess again. Nor did I ever again expect to see the man with the grey eyes, but I was wrong.

 

 

 Innocents on the lamb menu

 

Main Menu


email to Al Sullivan

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1: Thief in the night

Innocents on the Lamb

Chapter50 --With these rings