Chapter 11: On the wrong bus?


 

We left Pittsburgh and its Allegheny and Monongahela Rivers was behind, a dark memory of flowing under bridges I never expected to see again and the city’s stench slowly fading as the bus plunged into the darkness, tires rubbing over asphalt as we continued west.

I kept nodding, but could not sleep, jerked awake by some flaw in the road, my face reflected in the dark windows floating on a sea of black – the other passengers floating there, too, like ghosts.

Sometimes, the headlights of the bus or passing cars illuminated the mileage marker like a countdown to our next destination.

We passed through West Virginia, happy home of Wheeling, slowing through smaller towns, gray shapes of dilapidated buildings like grave stones, punctuated by monuments to Confederate heroes put up a half century after Lee’s surrender at Appomattox, not to intimidate former slaves, but as a gesture of defiance to the carpetbaggers that had come south from the north to rape the Old South and to permanently punish those southern patriots that had had the audacity to resist their dictates, faces of Lee and Forrest, Jackson and Davis, who had stood up when it counted, icons to former glory the south would never witness again. I saw no tributes to the underground railroad here and the other heroes that had helped slaves escape, just their memory floating in the wind, caught between the greedy north and the defiant south, used and abused by one, ignored by the other. Then in a blink of the eye, West Virginia vanished, a speck of dust in the rearview mirror, one more place I would never see again in my lifetime.

Silence filled the bus, disrupted only by the rumbled of wheels beneath us, the irregular snores of the men and women now nodding off, old couples leaning into each other like gnarled and entwined trees, while the young couple Mrs. Warton had admired earlier, clung to each other with their eyes closed, as if fearful they might lose each other in the dark.

Mrs. Warton was asleep. So was her husband.  The bearded man with his constant cough only snorted as he slept. Some passengers had taken the new hostess' offer for blankets so that only their heads were exposed, their reflections floating like strange science experiments in glass. The man with the pipe behind me and across the aisle, stoutly resisted sleep, keeping his light illuminated and his paper firmly open on his knees. He looked like a professor of some kind with a tiny, almost imperceptible tuft of hair growing on his chin, moving each time he took a swallow from his coffee cup.

Because I could not sleep, and because during the day I was not brave enough to look around too closely at the others, I spent this time studying many of the faces of my fellow passengers, searching their expressions for clues as to what they might be like when not traveling.

The Wartons I knew, but the others man for a pleasant guessing game that kept my mind off Pittsburgh, Chicago and my family.

Two rows back from me on my side a fat man with three chins slept, a regular sulfur pit of bubbling and grumbling and burping, each new dream apparently causing a new series of sounds, his knees knocking against the back of the seat in front of him as he tried to escape some inner demon. I envied his sleep, but not his nightmares, and knew that mine would be just as troubled if I could force my eyes closed and my mind into unconsciousness.

A car appeared on the highway coming the other way, its headlights suddenly relieving the boredom of black, spreading news head of itself of a landscape I would not otherwise be able to see, shadowy shapes looming large for a moment before vanishing again when the car passed.

Another set of headlights revealed a subtler secret, one verified by the flicking of something against the glass, tiny shards of frozen rain struggling to grow into snow, creating bubbles of melting wet on the glass, and a spread of glittering went on the surface of the highway.

I saw signs for Columbus and Cincinnati.

“We won’t be stopping at Cincinnati,” the hostess told me when she stopped to see if there was anything I needed. “I have some sandwiches in the back if you’re hungry.”

I declined. She moved on to check on one of other awake passengers, through her inquiry stirred Mrs. Warton.

She rubbed her temples with her fingertips, then her eyes, then gave me a brief sleepy smile before she worked herself out of her seat and stumbled to the toilet at the back of the bus, returning much wider awake, frowning at me, as if struggling to recall some detail about me that she ought to have remembered.

"Aren't you on the wrong bus?" she asked.

“No, I’m going to Los Angeles with you,” I said. “Don’t you remember? I decided not to go to Chicago when we were in Pittsburg.”

“Oh yes,” she said, looking sleepy again. “I forgot.”

She eased back into her seat and a moment later fell into sleep again.

The old man in the seat in front of hers looked over at me, apparently finished with a chapter in the book he’d been reading and searching for some distraction.

“Aren’t you tired?” he asked me.

“I can’t sleep on buses,” I said.

I hadn’t slept in almost two days; the weariness wore on me, distorting perception. His voice and other sounds echoed, a bad sign I recognized from the army when I went AWOL at night and played soldier during the day.

I wondered if I ought to get off at a rest stop, book a night in a local motel, then catch another bus west after I woke again.

But fear of pursuit kept me from doing this. I needed to keep moving, needed to put as much distance between me and the east as possible, hoping the miles would keep me hidden from the pursuit I knew must be coming after me by this time.

“I get that on boats,” the old man said. “I can’t handle all the conflicting motion. I took a cruise to Europe with my wife two years ago, I swear I didn’t sleep 12 hours total for the whole crossing. When we hit dry land, I slept solid for two days straight.”

He chuckled, mumbling something about his wife wanting to kill him for it, but soon fell off into sleep himself, dreaming no doubt about the high seas he had once sailed.

For some reason, I started to think of Disneyland, recalling how I’d always wanted to go there as a kid, and how that became one of the places the Wartons planned to visit once we got to LA, a perfect place where fantasy ruled, with clean streets and nice people to greet me, and characters out of my childhood to pose with for photographs.

Behind me, the man with the pipe and newspaper finally flicked off his light, leaving us to ride along in the dark, the glow of his burning tobacco occasionally painting the interior of the bus red.

Now, I could see outside the bus without the aid of passing headlights, the bus lights spreading its own illumination to the front and sides, revealing the treasure of growing frozen glitter on the landscape.

 

Innocents on the Lamb menu


Main Menu


email to Al Sullivan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1: Thief in the night

Innocents on the Lamb

Chapter50 --With these rings